Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Conditioned Helplessness

source: airnow.gov  (1-23-13)
"Learned helplessness is the condition of a human or animal that has learned to behave helplessly, failing to respond even though there are opportunities for it to help itself by avoiding unpleasant circumstances or by gaining positive reward."

This wikipedia definition adequately reflects what I learned in college psych and pretty much sums things up. 


Or is it denial?  


Whatever the psychology is, the air is disgusting.   It is bad for you.


I feel especially guilty about it today.  It's probably because I had to drive.  I know . . . excuses, excuses (we all got 'em).  I swear that I usually opt to ride my bike but I had a meeting.


It also hurts to breath. 


This is unequivocal evidence that as a species we are fatally flawed by our own convenience.  I am watching to see who is picking themselves up by their own bootstraps in the spirit of rugged individualism to self-correct this health threat based on a sense of moral responsibility . . . but really I just feel bitch slapped by the invisible hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment