Thursday, February 21, 2013

The Grass Is Always Greener

Thunder Mountain, Red Canyon UT
I have been as guilty of this as anyone else.  Guilty of believing for one reason or another that I have to travel to far off places to experience the exotic.  I have news for my fellow Utahns.  You and I are smack dab in the middle of one of the most exotic places in the world.

For those of you that have lived here for any amount of time, you might laugh at this but you are merely suffering from a case of "the-grass-is-always-greener syndrome."  To prove my point I have one simple test.  Pick up one of your favorite travel/adventure magazines and flip to the back.  There you will find the ads trying to lure you to the most exotic places like Machu Picchu, Thailand, Mount Kilimanjaro, etc.  And listed alongside all of those locations is Utah, not surprisingly.  
Birch Hollow

I realize that by definition "exotic" implies foreign or distant but just know that Utah, as a destination, is considered one of the most exotic places by everyone else in the world.

This doesn't stop me from wanting to buy a one way around the world ticket and take a year or two to see everything else.  In the meantime though, Utah makes the ideal base camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment