Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Enduring Patagonia, a book recommendation

"I don't come to the mountains because the world is any better up here.  I come into the high mountains because I am so much better up here.  Down in the normal world I seldom have life under control.  The details escape me.  I muddle in confusion.  Solutions are not apparent.  A lead bar of stress sits in my gut and motivation is a struggle to summon.  That stress is more debilitating than the fear I find here in the mountains, the cold alpine fear that impels me to hot rages of action.  Here in the mountains I ride the limits of my human potential.  I feel no doubt about the possible courses of action.  I know what to do, how to do it, and I set about doing it.  Here, I do not stomach compromise.  I have become, like Jim, a goddamned, unrepentant alpinist, and our lives are victories, for we do not live like slaves."

A great book!  If you think this quote makes absolute sense, then the book will be absolutely captivating.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/514674.Enduring_Patagonia

No comments:

Post a Comment